Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Career Planning and Development

Are you looking to get promoted?
Maybe a change in your federal career?
Need tips on resume writing to land a federal job?
Or how to increase your salary or get a pay raise?

Join this active discussion with others climbing the same challenging career ladder.

Consider ordering some helpful resources or read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues by visiting FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Allie  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, October 13, 2021 7:28:09 AM(UTC)
Allie

Rank: Newbie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 10/12/2021(UTC)
Posts: 2
United States

Thanks: 3 times
I received a tentative offer for a position, and have been advised that a second agency is looking at my references. My HR has already scheduled a release date for offer #1 in a couple of weeks, but if I am offered the second position I absolutely want to take it. I want to push my start date for offer #1 out to give time for agency #2 to make an offer, if they are going to, but if I can't get position #1 pushed out, I am wondering if I am screwed to the 3-month waiting period for release to position #2 if offered. I'm worried that offer #2 could be pulled if I start at agency #1 and it then takes that long to be released, regardless of how slow the HR process has been with agency #2... I'm panicking a bit because agency #2 is a much better opportunity, but I of course would rather take offer #1 if that's the only one that ends up on the table.
Any advice? (I tried searching for an answer and didn't find what I needed, so I appreciate your patience.)
Endless Summer  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, October 13, 2021 8:29:28 AM(UTC)
Endless Summer

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 6/7/2016(UTC)
Posts: 1,238

Thanks: 55 times
Was thanked: 267 time(s) in 228 post(s)
A couple of observations in no particular order:

A tentative offer is just that, tentative. There are a dozen ways it can go south and a thousand ways it can be delayed. It is way too premature for your current HR to be setting a release date.

You are under no obligation to remain at a current employer. If Job 1 hires you, you can move on to Job 2. The same way that Job 1 can terminate you during your probationary period for no reason. I'm assuming Job 1 would not involve PCS.

How do you know that Job 2 is better? The job might sound more exciting but you could be working in a horrible environment.

Have you even interviewed for Job 2? Them checking your references might just be so they can pad the applicant ist. It doesn't necessarily mean that you'll even get a call.

When I was in a simiar situation I contacted my Job 2 and explained that I preferred their position, but I had to take the offer on the table. They stepped up and made me an offer.

Good luck
Allie  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, October 13, 2021 8:39:27 AM(UTC)
Allie

Rank: Newbie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 10/12/2021(UTC)
Posts: 2
United States

Thanks: 3 times
Originally Posted by: Endless Summer Go to Quoted Post
A couple of observations in no particular order:

A tentative offer is just that, tentative. There are a dozen ways it can go south and a thousand ways it can be delayed. It is way too premature for your current HR to be setting a release date.

You are under no obligation to remain at a current employer. If Job 1 hires you, you can move on to Job 2. The same way that Job 1 can terminate you during your probationary period for no reason. I'm assuming Job 1 would not involve PCS.

How do you know that Job 2 is better? The job might sound more exciting but you could be working in a horrible environment.

Have you even interviewed for Job 2? Them checking your references might just be so they can pad the applicant ist. It doesn't necessarily mean that you'll even get a call.

When I was in a simiar situation I contacted my Job 2 and explained that I preferred their position, but I had to take the offer on the table. They stepped up and made me an offer.

Good luck



Thank you for your response. Job 2 is a Grade increase, and will likely be remote work. Job 1 will be a different title, but that's about the only benefit- it will help me qualify for jobs like Job 2 better than my current position has been. Otherwise it is a slight pay cut with a longer commute and limited-to-no option for remote work. Still, better than staying in my current position with no upward mobility opportunities.
I have interviewed for Job 2, but they have been very slow to check my references (basically said there was a training that kept them from reaching out for two weeks) and only reached out to them this week.
The HR at Job 1 contacted my current agency's HR, and requested the too-soon EoD date which my HR has agreed to. They stated I need to take it up with the HR at new Job 1 if I want to pu***** out, which I've done, but I don't know if I'll be successful in pushing it out further.
So if I'm not successful, is there anything to keep me from accepting a position from Job 2 if offered a week or two into Job 1?



GRITS  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, October 13, 2021 8:39:56 AM(UTC)
GRITS

Rank: Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 7/5/2021(UTC)
Posts: 21
United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
My opinion would be to continue on your current path with position #1 since you have received a tentative offer. The second offer isn't guaranteed at this point and you haven't received anything other than them checking references. If you have started with position #1 and you are offered position #2 you can essentially push out that EOD date so that you can make the 3 month waiting period (which I am not familiar with). If position #2 is meant to be and HR wants you they will give you the desired start date if they have a hard time working with you on this imagine how it will be if you are hired in position #2 and needed accommodations on other issues how they will react. This pandemic have really made HR/Supervisors more flexible in their start dates from what I am understanding.
thanks 1 user thanked GRITS for this useful post.
Allie on 10/13/2021(UTC)
Endless Summer  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, October 13, 2021 8:58:07 AM(UTC)
Endless Summer

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 6/7/2016(UTC)
Posts: 1,238

Thanks: 55 times
Was thanked: 267 time(s) in 228 post(s)
There's no reason you can't leave Job 1 a week in. You are a probationary employee and that works both ways.

The ony way you'd be on the hook is if Job 1 paid for relocation costs or other incentives.

You have to do what is best for you.
thanks 1 user thanked Endless Summer for this useful post.
Allie on 10/13/2021(UTC)
Rss Feed  Atom Feed
Users browsing this topic
Guest
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Powered by YAF 2.1.1 | YAF © 2003-2021, Yet Another Forum.NET
This page was generated in 0.179 seconds.