Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Workers' Compensation

The Office of Workers' Compensation Programs administers four major disability compensation programs which provide wage replacement benefits, medical treatment, vocational rehabilitation and other benefits to certain workers or their dependents who experience work-related injury or occupational disease.

Here is a forum for members to share and exchange experiences regarding to workers' compensation related issues.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Play The Game  
#1 Posted : Saturday, October 2, 2021 10:29:00 PM(UTC)
Play The Game

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 10 post(s)
I filed a claim with OWCP in December of 2020. I just received a letter today saying my claim was denied. I'm beyond pissed, I'm hurt, now broke, and close to being fired. I have a few questions I was hoping someone can answer

1) First: yes I have a lawyer who handles OWCP claims, and I let him do everything. Hes telling me the entire process is a mess right now, the workers are demoralized, miserable, and they are denying everyone. My CE disappeared, and my file went from Boston to Texas. When we call no one even knows who has my case, or whats going on. Is this true, is it a total mess there?

2) My denial letter wasn't signed by anyone....it was left blank. Right now we do not know who my CE is or who rendered this decision. Is this normal?

3) It took 10 months(yes TEN MONTHS) to deny my claim. Needless to say I have been living on my now depleted savings. How long does an appeal take? Also is the appeal process fair? I know I was screwed over....and at this point I can't see how this system is even close to honest.

Thank You
gringobonk  
#2 Posted : Sunday, October 17, 2021 10:54:53 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Originally Posted by: Play The Game Go to Quoted Post
I filed a claim with OWCP in December of 2020. I just received a letter today saying my claim was denied. I'm beyond pissed, I'm hurt, now broke, and close to being fired. I have a few questions I was hoping someone can answer

1) First: yes I have a lawyer who handles OWCP claims, and I let him do everything. Hes telling me the entire process is a mess right now, the workers are demoralized, miserable, and they are denying everyone. My CE disappeared, and my file went from Boston to Texas. When we call no one even knows who has my case, or whats going on. Is this true, is it a total mess there?

2) My denial letter wasn't signed by anyone....it was left blank. Right now we do not know who my CE is or who rendered this decision. Is this normal?

3) It took 10 months(yes TEN MONTHS) to deny my claim. Needless to say I have been living on my now depleted savings. How long does an appeal take? Also is the appeal process fair? I know I was screwed over....and at this point I can't see how this system is even close to honest.

Thank You

I'm going to post a separate message semi-related that you might want to look at and follow. But you are on point in regards to things. It doesn't matter what the atmosphere of OWCP is like. They've been hired to do a job and that job has requirements enacted by law that they must follow.

I have been getting all of my correspondences and decisions from OWCP unsigned and I made a very strong point about them violating the law by doing this as I can't tell who made an original decision, and then when I appeal, that the person there is not the same person involved in the first decision. By law only people under the head of the DOL are authorized to act on his behalf. If no one signs it, including their job title, then how can you confirm that the document and any decisions were issued by someone authorized to do so.

I don't know the exact type of appeal you're talking about. There's a 30 day one that can be oral or in writing, there's one that must be done within a year, which is good if you need to build a stronger case and get new evidence, and there's another one that I think also should be within one year (think you can use it if you go through the prior 2 types unsuccessful.) This last one goes before a special federal court to deal with the issues. They are merciless. The entire OWCP is a fraud in my opinion. I had full medical coverage for "total temporary disability" (the "best" you can get when you have permanent soft tissues injuries. You need to lose limbs to get under "total disability") but they refused to pay compensation and I'm too ill now to go for it at this moment. Within this year the CE closed my claim with no warning and absent due process. He opened it again when I found out and laid out the laws broken. Then the day after he blew up on me on the phone, he initiated a SECOP. He never provided me with my case records and I've made about 6 requests since August 2020. He suspended my case when I didn't make it to the SECOP which was on another Hawaiian island and I already warned him I was indigent and provided proof. I didn't refuse to go and I couldn't obstruct it because I wasn't there. Then he closed my case again absent any of the required notices.

All I can say is read the forums and do searches on appeals to find more info to gauge your options. Don't rely on that lawyer for anything.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed