Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Disability (Rehabilitation Act)

Post your thoughts and opinions here about disability-related news topics. Members can exchange their experiences and information so to help others navigate the different programs and services available.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
gloryofgreece  
#1 Posted : Friday, September 3, 2021 4:01:11 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

I have been a federal employee for close to 10 years. I have been recently assigned to work swing shift which affects my sleep schedule and commute time such that I don't get enough rest and high stress of the swing shift cause my blood pressure to spike up.

My primary care doctor wrote me a note to my employer to "if possible, limit [my] shift to daytime shift." Do you think I got enough grounds for reasonable accomodation? My agency disagrees and ask that I get ready for swing shift because the letter was "weak".
frankgonzalez  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, September 7, 2021 4:41:37 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Was thanked: 1165 time(s) in 932 post(s)
Originally Posted by: gloryofgreece Go to Quoted Post
I have been a federal employee for close to 10 years. I have been recently assigned to work swing shift which affects my sleep schedule and commute time such that I don't get enough rest and high stress of the swing shift cause my blood pressure to spike up.

My primary care doctor wrote me a note to my employer to "if possible, limit [my] shift to daytime shift." Do you think I got enough grounds for reasonable accomodation? My agency disagrees and ask that I get ready for swing shift because the letter was "weak".
Anyone with a disability can request an accommodation. Will you get what you want? Well...that will depend. Based on the letter from your doctor...probably not.

The other aspect is, we have no clue what your job is, what the essential elements of the job are, etc. And so, cannot say if that is a reasonable accommodation. In job X, it may be no problem. In job Y, it could mean you are no longer qualified for the position and if they have no open position you qualify for, you could find yourself out of a job.

You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
FrankJr  
#3 Posted : Monday, September 27, 2021 12:25:20 PM(UTC)
FrankJr

United States

Was thanked: 128 time(s) in 118 post(s)
The high blood pressure may or may not be considered a disability; and in turn qualify for a reasonable accommodation. The job that causes high blood pressure isn't a disability.

To be frank, few like the swing shifts and the health of the masses on swing shifts deteriorates over time. As noted in one response, indicating the job and the requirements of the jobs is a hardship is stating you do not qualify to do the job. Either find a new job or learn to love the swing shift. I worked the midnight shift for two years of the five years as a federal employee and enjoyed the higher pay and free reign of the building; but didn't hesitate to move to the day shift when the opportunity was presented.
frankgonzalez  
#4 Posted : Monday, September 27, 2021 12:33:52 PM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Was thanked: 1165 time(s) in 932 post(s)
Originally Posted by: FrankJr Go to Quoted Post
To be frank,...
Nope...you're junior, I'm Frank!

As for working swings and mids...I fought to get on those shifts when I was in the military. Love working nights. Very little interaction with the senior leadership, few meetings (if any) to have to attend. Have the day free to take care of stuff and when the weekends came, I didn't worry about getting tired at 2am at the club/bar/concert. If I could do it these days, I'd go back in a split second! Unfortunately, the type of work I do and my position prevent that being likely any more.

You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
thanks 1 user thanked frankgonzalez for this useful post.
FrankJr on 10/2/2021(UTC)
Rss Feed  Atom Feed